Friday, October 28, 2005
HUSKIES V. SUN DEVILS BREAKDOWN
Huskies head to the desert 3:30 kickoff here on 950,KJR. ASU is in a world of hurt, in fact the Huskies look like they are in good shape compared to the Sun Devils, losers of 3 straight.
· ASU special teams are a mess – 3 punts blocked for 17 points last week. Punt long snapper has been injured and their new guy gets the ball back very slowly. They are trying out a new punter this week. When they do punt the ball they are a mess. Last year they were 116 out of 177 on punt return coverage. This season they have allowed 38 points in seven games because of punting errors.
· Players are questioning the commitment in practice. Back-up QB, yes back-up QB Rudy Carpenter. "I don't see that guys are motivated. Especially in practice. Everybody's coming out kind of soft in practice and not working hard." Senior Leader wide receiver Derek Hagan "I think this team feels like we can flip the switch whenever we want to," "Just turn it on and turn it off. These last couple games, that hasn't been the outcome. We practice well and then we don't practice well. And come game time, it's just a different story”
· Insane injuries on the offensive line . Center Grayling Love and Right Tackle Andrew Carahan are injured, right guard Zach Krula is out and being replaced
· In their 3 losses they have allowed an average of 500 yards a game. 224 on the ground and 275 in the air.
· They have lost their running game in the last three games averaging just 82 yards a game.
However, with all that said I still can’t see the Huskies getting this one. Truly, what we are going to find out is how bad the Dawgs really are. Their offense is only scoring 21 points a game and if they can’t score on the Sun Devils then they can’t score on anyone. On the defensive end, if they can’t win the battle at the line of scrimmage against this depleted line then they won’t all season and if they can’t take advantage of the special teams of ASU then forget it.