Thursday, August 18, 2005
OFFER SHEET, TRE SIMMONS AND DALE DAVIS
The offer sheet we told you about arrived today and is exactly as anticipated. The Sonics now have 7 days to decide whether or not to match the offer sheet.
The part of this equation that is unclear is that Wilkins wants to be in Minnesota not in Seattle. Would he have signed the offer sheet if he thought Seattle was going to match? His agent, Mark Bartelstein is one of the best in the business.
We now know why Wilkins turned down the offer from Nate and the Blazers.
In other news I talked with Tre Simmons today and he expects to sign with the Sonics in the next few days. If Wilkins leaves for Minnesota then Simmons would be a nice fit for the Sonics. He can shoot and is a surprisingly good defender.
This is a good example of how I feel Wilkins is replaceable. However, the Sonics management talks about Wilkins size, his defensive capabilities and his ability to drive to the basket as things that separate him at this position.
Bottom line if I am the Sonics unless you are certain that Wilkins is going to be able to be a back-up 2 and 3 and give you 18 to 25 minutes a night then I would let him go to Minnesota. He is a replaceable piece.
The decision on Dale Davis should happen today. Davis is deciding between Seattle and Detroit. Detroit falls out of the picture if Michael Finley goes to Detroit, but the word around the league is that Finley to Miami is a done deal.