Funny how this sports world works, by being in San Antonio I was able to watch the Hawks pre-season game last night. Here is a quick summary
1) Bobby Engram was active in the middle of the field. This was sorely lacking from last year’s team.
2) Stevens was a part of the passing game. He still needs to get better after the catch but he was active and involved. If the passing game can cover the middle of the field they should be able to hit a few deep over the middle when defenses are forced to adjust.
3) Chuck Darby was all over the place and Marcus Tubbs stunted on a play and showed enough athleticism that he got to the quarterback.
4) 1st quarter run defense was very solid holding Julius Jones to no carry over 2 yards.
1) 2 of the first 3 drives by the offense were turnovers
2) Penalities on the first kickoff and the first play set the tone. The Hawks were sloppy all game.
3) Dropped balls by Urban and Wallace may have sealed their fate.
4) Inability to make a play. On three occasions the Hawks had interceptions they dropped. These are the plays that you have to make.
5) Second quarter run defense was awful as Jones gashed the Hawks for three carries over 10 yards in one drive.